Re: Google Web Toolkit

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ asj ] on Thursday 18 May 2006 07:22 \__
>
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> It retains good momentum and more services will come our way, which
> >> obviate the need for desktop-bound software. That's a prime aim. Snatch
> >> users from
> >
> > Hey, I'm all for the network is the computer ;-)
>

> Why antagonise the inevitable vocation of modern computing?

The funny thing is companies keep trying to snatch away people from
desktop apps (and thus from the clutches of microsoft)...you got the
Network PC, for example, which flopped when desktop PCs went so much
lower in price.

But as more and more people get broadband, the day when downloading
large apps from the web is fast and easy is approaching. Microsoft is
coming from one direction - making its desktop-bound windows apps more
network-centric, while companies like google are coming from the other
direction...making network apps more "desktop-app"-like.

Who'll win? I think the amount of time one company, even a monopoly,
can remain on "top", is limited. Microsoft will most likely always own
the desktop with windows - but perhaps another company will rewrite the
rules of the game such that the desktop becomes just a single node in a
much vaster conglomeration of computing devices.