Re: internet on laptop

On 2006-05-17, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> __/ [ Whiskers ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 15:00 \__

snip

>>> I wish someone set up a Web site such as < http://www.wifimaps.com/ > for
>>> the Americans. I wonder if a European/British one exists already...
>>
>> snip
>>
>> Take your pick
>> <http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=uk+wifi+map&sourceid=op
>> era&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8> or <http://qurl.net/xg>.
>
> Thanks,  Whiskers. These sites that appear (in page 1 at least) to be very
> legitimate,  i.e... they will not tell you about the system  administrator
> that  neglected to change default password on a router, which is thus open
> to  access.  I believe that the Yank version is somewhat more  mischievous
> because it's community-driven.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

'War driving' certainly goes on in the UK, so there are probably web sites
that report unintentional public access points; but I'm not going to
encourage use of them, and any network that is open by mistake is likely
to be rectified before you get there anyway, so why bother?  :))

--
--  Whiskers