Re: internet on laptop

  • Subject: Re: internet on laptop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:49:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.laptops
__/ [ Whiskers ] on Monday 15 May 2006 21:12 \__

> On 2006-05-15, billytrailstar <billthackray@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> hi all,im a newbie here and to laptops! but i wondered if you clever
>> people could give me some advice!? i want to buy a laptop and use the
>> internet,however i have no landline;what are my options with out  a
>> land line? a voda phone 3g card(given away free with some deals) is out
>> coz theres no coverage where iam in monmouthshire.any suggestions would
>> be a great help! cheers billy
>
> It is possible to use a GSM or GPRS mobile telephone as a 'modem' to
> connect to the internet.  Slow and expensive, but possible.
>
> There may be a 'WiFi hotspot' near you; a web search should bring up
> several web sites claining to list such things within a certain area.  For
> example <http://www.btopenzone.com/>.  (Although if there's a hotspot,
> that would suggest that the telephone system isn't very far away in which
> case, getting a BT phone line could be your cheapest option in the long
> run).

I wish someone set up a Web site such as < http://www.wifimaps.com/ > for the
Americans. I wonder if a European/British one exists already...

Also to consider: the Nokia 770 Internet tablet:

         http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/770

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  8:45am  up 18 days 15:42,  8 users,  load average: 1.11, 0.83, 0.61