Re: internet on laptop

__/ [ Whiskers ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 15:00 \__

> On 2006-05-16, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [ Whiskers ] on Monday 15 May 2006 21:12 \__

>>> It is possible to use a GSM or GPRS mobile telephone as a 'modem' to
>>> connect to the internet.  Slow and expensive, but possible.
>>>
>>> There may be a 'WiFi hotspot' near you; a web search should bring up
>>> several web sites claining to list such things within a certain area.
>>> For
>>> example <http://www.btopenzone.com/>.  (Although if there's a hotspot,
>>> that would suggest that the telephone system isn't very far away in which
>>> case, getting a BT phone line could be your cheapest option in the long
>>> run).
>>
>> I wish someone set up a Web site such as < http://www.wifimaps.com/ > for
>> the Americans. I wonder if a European/British one exists already...
>
> snip
>
> Take your pick
> <http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=uk+wifi+map&sourceid=op
> era&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8> or <http://qurl.net/xg>.

Thanks,  Whiskers. These sites that appear (in page 1 at least) to be very
legitimate,  i.e... they will not tell you about the system  administrator
that  neglected to change default password on a router, which is thus open
to  access.  I believe that the Yank version is somewhat more  mischievous
because it's community-driven.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Partition if an operating $ysteM must be set aside
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:50pm  up 19 days 23:47,  10 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.67, 0.57