Re: AIS-E for Google co-op?

__/ [ Big Bill ] on Thursday 25 May 2006 07:48 \__

> On Thu, 25 May 2006 00:21:28 GMT, info_at_1-script_dot_com@xxxxxxx
> (www.1-script.com) wrote:
>
>>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> We could choose a more impartial domain, I suppose. You know...
>>> avoiding the
>>> dependence on Google (a third-party lockin). The key idea is that
>>> several
>>> feeds of interest get entwined and presented to the group in the form
>>> of a
>>> standard Web page. It's a real-time thing, handled by a PHP feed
>>> parser.
>>
>>Can't help inserting a shameless plug here:
>>http://www.1-script.com/forums/rss/alt.internet.search-engines.xml

I have been subscribed for a while. 3 minutes ago I saw "Ping Dmitri" at the
very top.

>>Pardon the Yahoo RSS ads in the feed. They are on their way out due to
>>poor performance, just don't have time to yank them from the code right
>>now.

I heard bad things about revenue from Yahoo ads in feeds. That aside, I never
see ads in feeds. Never realised it was there, either.

>>> As for the latter (social bookmarking), we could use the Open Source
>>> Scuttle.
>>> Example in:
>>
>>> http://www.schestowitz.com/Bookmarks/social_bookmark/
>>
>>Couldn't add a bookmark. Got an error:
>>Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mb_substr() in
>><snipped>public_html/Bookmarks/social_bookmark/services/tagservice.php on
>>line 18

Yes, I need to debug if I ever intend to use it. Despite the errors, the data
is often added without issues.

>>Is Social Bookmarking a fancy name for Link Directory I am familiar with
>>or have I missed some trendy trend here? ;-)

You have the advantage of being able to exploit the information in so-called
'social' ways. Think Digg where you can see where scores come from and make
friends of foes. Slashdot had an (apparently bad) early attempt at that.

> I had Dmitri in mind for this... also John... who else we got
> technical?

Well, I'm up for anything. I'll just wait and watch... *smile*

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
 10:15am  up 27 days 16:47,  9 users,  load average: 0.60, 1.40, 1.18