Re: OT - base64 decoding

__/ [ John Bokma ] on Monday 29 May 2006 19:41 \__

>> __/ [ Big Bill ] on Monday 29 May 2006 13:35 \__
>>
>>> Guys, I'm trying to decode an email that's base64 encoded, what can I
>>> do that with please?
>>
>> Choose/use an E-mail client that can accept and decipher
>> 64-bit-encoded messages.
>
> Note that base64 is certainly not the same as 64-bit.

Oops. You're right. Label me an "idiot".

> base64 means a numeric system which has 64 numerals, and its used to
> encode 8 bit data over a 7 bit ASCII stream.
>
>> Thunderbird is one such (excellent, if I may
>> add) application. 64-bit messages (or even Unicode) are popular among
>> spammers, for exactly the reason that you mention (they are hard to
>> read and arouse curiosity)...
>
> Uhm? I think you're even more confused now.
>
>> http://news.spamcop.net/pipermail/spamcop-help/2005-April/064681.html
>>
>> If you are not Asian, you can often assume these to be spam.
>
> Nonsense. base64 can be (and is) used to encode attachements for example.
> Maybe reread that link a bit more carefully.
>
>> That's
>> how SpamAssassin behaves 'out of the box'. It applies a scoring
>> penalty to them...
>
> I doubt this very much, and otherwise the scoring is extremely low.

Well, for Asian languages that are directed at people from the west, there is
a certain assumption. To quote:

# Speakers of Asian languages, like Chinese, Japanese and Korean, will
# almost
# definitely want to uncomment the following lines.  They will switch
# off some
# rules that detect 8-bit characters, which commonly trigger on mails
# using CJK
# character sets, or that assume a western-style charset is in use.
#
# score HTML_COMMENT_8BITS      0
# score UPPERCASE_25_50         0
# score UPPERCASE_50_75         0