Re: The 8-Hour Sleep Myth -- also

  • Subject: Re: The 8-Hour Sleep Myth -- also
  • From: "helco" <helco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:28:49 -0500
  • Newsgroups: alt.support.sleep-disorder
<sherrybove@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1148642427.411826.314670@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Study: Inadequate sleep linked to weight gain

Those who slept 5 hours or less each night were 32 percent more likely
to gain a significant amount of weight (adding 33 pounds or more) and
15 percent more likely to become obese during 16 years of follow-up
than women who slept 7 hours each night.

This level of weight gain -- or 33 pounds -- is very clinically
significant in terms of risk of diabetes and heart disease
Women who slept 6 hours nightly were 12 percent more likely to
experience major weight gain and 6 percent more likely to become obese
compared with those who slept 7 hours each night.

For Complete news:-
http://www.epsdrugstore.com/5-26eps1.htm

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ normc ] on Wednesday 24 May 2006 19:45 \__
>
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> I thought that this following new article on sleep would be interesting
> >> some.
> >>

> http://www.economist.com/intelligentlife/wellbeing/displayStory.cfm?story_id=6909483
> >>
> >> ,----[ Snippet ]
> >> at
> >> their
> >> 11
> >> you're
> >> your
> >> `----
> >
> >  From http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=43973
> >
> > Sleep More Important Than Diet For Weight Control
> >
> > What constitutes a good night's sleep? For this study, the researchers
> > observed the effect sleeping five or fewer hours regularly has on a
> > woman's weight over the medium and long term. They compared them to
> > women who managed to regularly get 7 hours' sleep each night.
>
> That's quite surprising. I would have thought that, since sleep requires
> less
> energy (reduced heart pulse rate), this would actually have the adverse
> effect. According to this study, lack of sleep leads to weight gain...
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy
>
> --
> Roy S. Schestowitz

Also -- Does the study distinguish between those who feel that five hours of
sleep is all they need and those who feel they need more sleep but are
unable to get it?  Big difference.
Helco