[News] OpenVZ (Open Source Virtualisation) Revs Up

OpenVZ updates open source virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| SWsoft's OpenVZ project, which develops an open source
| virtualization product, has announced availability of beta level
| software based on the Linux kernel 2.6.18 -- preparing users for
| the upcoming Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (RHEL5) and Debian GNU/Linux
| 4 releases.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=850444181&rid=-50

OpenVZ, unlike Xen, has not been plagued and infected by the Microsoft virus,
yet. It's Open Source, unlike VMWare (among others).

Another rev-up:

PHP 5.2.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The PHP development team is proud to announce the immediate
| release of PHP 5.2.0. This release is a major improvement in
| the 5.X series, which includes a large number of new features,
| bug fixes and security enhancements.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Application/PHP_520_Released

Microsoft has been trying to subvert PHP's agenda to fit its own. It has
sponsored PHP conferences and got a partnership with Zend earlier this week.

Another attempt to embrace, extend, and extinguish (Novell, Mozilla, Xen,
Part25), if not just make the Windows platform more appealing to PHP
developers. PHP and Java (Eclipse) expand. They are not going away, unlike
for example .Net, which even Microsoft has not used to develop Vista.

All that remains to Microsoft is media control, shills, sockpuppets and
muppets that have recnetly produced fake and misleading figures. Also see:

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has announced the "Microsoft BlogStars" contest, to Hunts
| for Developer Bloggers in India. After feeling the power and increase of
| the Bloggers community in India, Microsoft tries to trap and hunt Bloggers
| in India to buildup the blogging community, for writing blog posts
| supporting towards Microsoft Technologies.
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html

ToorCon ("Firefox security is a mess") sponsored by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately, I read the headline: "Open Source browser Firefox is so
| critically flawed that it is impossible to fix, according to two
| hackers." Further on, in the ZDNet article I read: "The hackers claim
| they know of about 30 unpatched Firefox flaws. They don't plan to
| disclose them, instead holding onto the bugs."
|
| Since that sounds suspicious, I decided to start searching for
| connections with MS. Easy enough, here it is...

Getting Paid To Write A Blog Post - Is This The Future?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.johnchow.com/index.php/getting-pay-to-write-a-blog-post-is-this-the-future/

,----[ Quote ]
|     "Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using
| online mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the virtues
| of Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft Munchkins, and it
| was obvious who they were and what they were up to. But their numbers
| and energy (and they way they joined forces with nonaligned dummies who
| liked to pile on) proved too much for IBM marketers, and Windows wont
| he operating-system war through fifth-column tactics"
|
|     Mr Dvorak wonders if Microsoft is today using reverse-dirty-tricks
| to promote the Xbox 360: pay people to create Web sites that slam the
| gaming computer in order to provoke a barrage of defenders.
`----

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html

Halloween V: The FUD Begins

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween5.html

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
| those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
| It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
| philanthropy outfit.

A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft seemingly has backed off from trumpeting its "Get the
| Facts" studies, as of late. But that doesn't mean the company has
| ceased commissioning research outfits to perform its anti-Linux dirty
| work.
|
| On September 25, Mercer Management Consulting released a new
| Microsoft-backed study. The study is entitled "Driving Lower TCO and
| Rapid ROI through UNIX Migrations." The synopsis: "Microsoft Windows
| the preferred choice for UNIX migration when IT organizations migrate
| servers as part of a focused effort to improve business processes,
| deploy critical applications or restructure their IT architecture."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12

Open Source Foes In Bed With Abramoff

,----[ Quote ]
| "Citizens Against Government Waste has said some highly critical things
| about open source software in the past. They've also pounced on supporters
| of the OpenDocument Format along the way. Alas, it seems their close ties
| to Jack Abramoff have drawn the (unfavorable) attention of Senate staff."
`----

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/12/2036223&from=rss

IDC (MS-commissioned study) pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy

,----[ Quote ]