Re: [News] Windows-only Programming a Mistake

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:26:06 -0500
"Oliver Wong" <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "ed" <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> > no one has to develop exclusively for anything if one uses
> > perl/python/java.
>
>     Well, you'd be developing exclusively for the platforms that
> perl/python/java support. I'm a Java programmer, and I think Java is
> pretty  good in the cross-platform metric, but I don't pretend to
> claim that, in  practice[*], Java programs can run anywhere that
> software can run.
>
>     - Oliver
>
> *: In theory, any program written in any language can run anywhere --
> its  just that the relevant compilers/interpreters/emulator/run-time
> libraries  might not have been developed yet.

well i'm reasonably sure that 99.9% of the market is accounted for if
linux/bsd/windows can run perl/pyton/java.

and i develop in the above three. plus a host of others. generally i
moved away as much as i could from java since it's not as portable for
me as perl is. i dont know of a distro that does not include perl. but
until java is part of the default install i'll continue to use perl in
it's place.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.openbsdhacker.com
just another bash hacker