Re: how to install windows xp

__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Wednesday 15 November 2006 23:15 \__

> begin  risky.vbs
> <20061115220015.183264e9@ed-desktop>,
> ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/08/04/xp
>
>     My Windows XP installation has reached its half-life. (You do know
>     that Windows has a half-life, don't you? Every installation of
>     Windows naturally degrades along a logarithmic curve until it
>     becomes annoying, then unbearable, then unusable. Each successive
>     revision of Windows has featured a slightly longer half-life. Back
>     in the day, Windows 95 would last me about 3 months, while my copy
>     of Windows XP has lasted me almost 9. I'm not bitter; when you
>     realize that you're measuring on a logarithmic scale, a factor of
>     3 improvement is really quite impressive.)
>
> Gates calls this bitrot and implied at the time all SW / OS's suffer
> from it. He was wrong of course. Only Windows has this feature.

Last year I had this argument in alt.html. It's just assumed that Windows has
a shelf life of 6 months. Then, it needs to be reinstalled (from its
'skinny' base package, which made this laborious).  Imagine installing Linux
every 6 months... only to find out that it comes with vi as an editor and
tuxpaint as a graphical toolkit... now, the secret recipe involves getting
some protective software within 5 minutes... or be possessed by somebody
else.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Ta for the pointer, Ed. It was a good laugh.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
 12:20am  up 28 days 10:34,  8 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.41, 0.43