Re: [News] Microsoft acknowledges that "Linux is a serious competitor"

http://www.activehome.co.uk/computeractive/features/2013847/pick-penguin-linux-explained

>> I'm not sure the Yorkshire police force has 60k desktops, but regardless,
>> that's more Linux advocacy in popular sites.
>
> Yorkshire WAS a large county. But these days, it's split into 3 seperate
> counties, west, north and south. So although all these places fall within
> yorkshire...
>
> Doncaster, leeds, huddersfield, halifax, harrogate, york, bradford,
> bridlington, scarborough, whitby, filey... etc
>
> York falls into north yorkshire, halifax and hudderfield are west
> yorkshire and doncaster is south yorkshire.
>
> Still, west yorkshire does cover quite a large area, so, it's possible.

Yorkshire still is a large county.  It always has been.  So large, in fact
that has traditionally been administered as the three "ridings" (old word
meaning a third), the West, North and South.
These days, it seems to have become just "West Yorkshire" etc.

I'm as sceptical as you are on the numbers.
Last I heard, West Yorkshire Police had IIRC 3,500 desktops.
Also IIRC they were experimenting with "hot-desking" - a magnetic card for
everybody, log in on any machine, and up comes your own stuff.
I don't know how it all went, but certainly they've always been one of the
first for technical innovation.