Re: [News] Windows and Linux Kernels Compared

begin  oe_protect.scr
B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Saturday 25 November 2006 04:41 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | This aims to be the most comprehensive kernel comparison of the
>> | latest most popular Unix style kernel verses the latest most
>> | popular current kernel.
>> `----
>>
>> http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20Comparison%20Linux%20vs%20Windows
>
> Sorry for the crap editing, but whatever I do will be wrong:-
>
> Hardware Architectures (PC)  Linux  Windows
>   PC x86                        Y       Y
>   PC AMD64                      Y       Y
>   PC IA-64                      Y       Y
>   Hardware Architectures (other)
>   Alpha                         Y       N
>   PPC                           Y       N
>   PPC64                         Y       N
>   SPARC32                       Y       N
>   SPARC64                       Y       N
>   ARM                           Y       N
>   HP PA-RISC                    Y       N
>   Motorola 680x0                Y       N
>   MIPS                          Y       N
>   MIPS (DEC)                    Y       N
>   PowerPC                       Y       N
>   IBM S/390                     Y       N
>   others                        Y       N
> - and that's WITHOUT touching on Mark's favourite 3 topics of the week!
> Where are those "supports more H/W" trolls when you need them?
>
> Also,
> estimated kernel space bugs total   1200  300,000 (53,000-630,000)
> estimated kernel + user space bugs total  1200  360,000 (63,000-750,000)

It was a very interesting article, and clearly demonstrates just how far
behind the curve Microsoft are in just about anything you can think of.
I did note, however, that the above list is incomplete, and should
include "cell:  linux=y; windows=n."

But then, you knew that, didn't you?

You will lose an important disk file.