Re: [News] Encouraging Game Developers to Make Linux Ports

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Peter KÃhlmann ] on Wednesday 04 October 2006 16:41 \__
>
>> Oliver Wong wrote:
>>

>> < snip >

>>> You've been corrected on this (see
>>> http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/0646a9c7be7276b9)
>>> so please stop spreading this lie.
>>>

>> Except it isn't a lie
>> The OpenGL "support" of Vista as shipped *is* crippled
>> With it you have extremely limited OpenGL, no extensions and performance
>> like a snail on tranquilizers
>>
>> You need to install 3rd party ICDs to get any decent OpenGL performance
>
> A bit like being forced to download Netscape using the default browser
> (Internet Explorer). Microsoft would say: "look, it's there. It's just a
> shame people don't take advantage of it and, therefore, developers will
> ignore that other package/technology". How convenient an argument. This is
> also debated in the Windows security turf at the moment...

So what? I had to install "third party nvidia drivers" to get openGL
working on Ubuntu - this after binning my ATI card which simply didnt
work with Linux.

--
`When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at
you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".'