[News] Good News to AMD is Good News to Linux

AMD shows big profit but Intel nibbles margins

,----[ Quote ]
| Chip firm AMD showed a big jump in profits for its third
| quarter financial period, but its gross margins fell,
| while it also reported some manufacturing problems.

        Today: AMD FX 70, 72 and 74 specs tip up

        Today: Quad AMD core to arrive Q3 2007

        Today: AMD starts to EOL its chips

Of some interest:

        Nvidia at work on combined CPU with graphic

Also see:

Intel: Only "Open" for Business

,----[ Quote ]
| These vendors often want a quiet private discussion, because
| in a quiet private discussion they can continue to dismiss the
| requests and in the end do absolutely nothing. They do not
| want a noisy public discussion, because then they look bad.
| But they DESERVE TO LOOK BAD, because they are being bad to
| those who bought their hardware!
`----

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060930232710&mode=expanded

Previously accused of stifling competition/innovation (e.g. 64-bit) as
means of strengthening the duopoly. Scare tactics anyone?

German anti-trust officials received complaint against Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The Financial Times claimed the FCO has in its possession a letter from
| a Saturn employee that implied Intel gave the retailer financial
| incentives not to stock AMD-based PCs.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/12/intel_german_fco_complaint/

Will there be an Open Source GPU/CPU, in line with Sun's GPL'd
designs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Then I wondered whether AMD's acquisition might result in the
| opening up of ATI's graphics drivers, which are now
| distributed only in binary form...
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/08/02/32OPcurve_1.html

What about Linux-targetted optimisation?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/72169