Re: Linux Gives Software Ownership, Not Just Some Licence

  • Subject: Re: Linux Gives Software Ownership, Not Just Some Licence
  • From: "Dean G." <dguttadauro@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 Oct 2006 13:41:14 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
billwg wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

> > The last few points in particular highlight the value
> > of Free software. Imagine depending on a program whose
> > progression and skill sets are tied to pricey licences
> > and a company that will vanish. There's no ownership,
> > just a piece of paper with a hologram.
>
> You look worse than foolish by presenting this tripe, royboy!  Wendy
> stretches and strains and can only complain about features that make it
> dificult to violate copyright laws and/or software piracy.  Granted
> that COLA fold do not hold these things in very high regard, but
> actively promoting such conduct is over the top.

Ignoring the poor grammar, completely disabling my PC will also "make
it (more) dificult to violate copyright laws and/or software piracy"
(how one "violates..software piracy" is beyond me). If the MS lakeys
cannot see the problem with partialy disabling my PC, how can I trust
them when their EULAs give them more and more rights to disable my PC ?
If they cannot understand the problem, will there be any limit to the
loss of ability when using MS products ? The only thing over the top is
the MS lackey line that anything that makes piracy more difficult is
good. While piracy is bad, the MS cure is far worse than the disease.
Less functionality is not a good thing, and while MS likes to promote
less functionality as a "feature", it is not. It is a lack of features.
It is a needless limitation, and nothing else.

Dean G.