Re: Sun Servers Give Room to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: Re: Sun Servers Give Room to GNU/Linux
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 17 Oct 2006 18:18:02 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
7 wrote:
> Asstroturfer Erik Funkenbusch wrote on behalf of micoshaft corporation:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:25:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >
> >> New virtualization option coming to Sun servers
> >>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]

> >> `----
> >>
> >> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6126484.html
> >
> > Linux eating it's own.
>
> You mean Linux eating more micoshaft corporation market share.
> Dumbo, please explain how expanding the use of Linux
> at the expense of windopes translates to what you claim.

No. He means exactly what he wrote. I see that you still don't know how
to use Google. So let me help.

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6041804.html

<quote>
Windows bumps Unix as top server OS

Computer makers sold $17.7 billion worth of Windows servers worldwide
in 2005 compared with $17.5 billion in Unix servers, IDC analyst
Matthew Eastwood said of the firm's latest Server Tracker market share
report. "It's the first time Unix was not top overall since before the
Tracker started in 1996."

And in another first, fast-growing Linux took third place, bumping
machines with IBM's mainframe operating system, z/OS. Linux server
sales grew from $4.3 billion in 2004 to $5.3 billion in 2005, while
mainframes dropped from $5.7 billion to $4.8 billion over the same
period, Eastwood said.

Although Sun's Unix revenue continued to decline, dropping 10 percent
to $4.6 billion in 2005 according to Gartner, Sun dominated unit
shipments with 59 percent of the 272,000 shipped.

</quote>

So lets see....

* Microsoft server sales have been growing at a double-digit rate for
the past few years.
* Linux has been growing at a double-digit rate for the past several
years.
* Traditional Unix sales have been declining for the past several
years.

It's not too difficult to figure out that both Linux and Windows have
been growing at the expense of traditional Unix.