Re: [News] Windows DLL Hell - So Notorious It Gets a Song

In <23242830.bR3UFheEe3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Roy Schestowitz  wrote:
> __/ [ Peter Hayes ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 23:50 \__
>
>> In <3727628.tarrfNDZjz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Roy Schestowitz  wrote:
>>> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 21:54 \__

>>> Like trashing the USB pen in order to unmount it (for safe removal)?
>>> I think not... *grin*
>>
>> Just right click the icon and select eject, or eject it from the
>> Finder.
>

> This I did not know. The trashing of the device seems to imply
> deletion.

Indeed. It must rank as one of the most unintuitive actions ever in the
history of the personal computer.

> Speaking of which...
>
> http://photomatt.net/2005/04/06/braindead-finder-behaviour/

"Replace" means 'replace", not "merge", surely...

The Finder isn't Apple's finest hour. I prefer Windows Explorer.

> I defended KDE in that discussion.
>

>> But yes, dragging to the trash is a bizarre Apple-ism, like window
>> resizing from the bottom right corner only.
>

> In KDE (I don't think GNOME has inherited that goodie yet as I have
> yet to its latest -- 2.16): Press down ALT and the secondary mouse
> button while hovering atop any windows to resize. This is extrely
> useful and it saves a lot of mouse movement.

In OS X hold down Ctrl while moving the scrollwheel to zoom the screen.

--

Peter