Re: Roy Schestowitz: Oh man

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:45:20 -0700, cc wrote:

> Sean Inglis wrote:

>> > No.  He has turned a discussion group into Roy's News Blog.
>> >

>> Nonsense, anyone is free to post here. Roy is certainly prolific, but if
>> you dislike Roy's posts, filter them out. He has gone to trouble to ensure
>> that doing this is a trivial matter for anyone truly interested in doing
>> so.

>> > I'm not suggesting that there is.  Nor am I suggesting that he post to suit
>> > me.  What I *am* suggesting is that he floods the group.
>> >

>> Your use of the word flood appears pejorative. This group has relatively
>> low posting activity of any kind compared to many others. The posts Roy
>> makes are unique (as in they are not continuous repetition of the
>> same news articles/adverts), relevant and entirely in line with the group
>> title.
>>
>> This group is scarcely "flooded" with messages full stop. Your complaint
>> seems to centre around the ratio of Roy's posts to the total (modest)
>> number of posts. It takes about 30 seconds to scan the headers of a full
>> day's worth and decide which you want to read. If you find this too
>> onerous, sort by poster and scan Roy's separately. There are a number of
>> simple solutions to your "problem".
>>

> Here's a simple solution : as advocated by Hadron : colons in his honor
> : post a fricking digest. How hard is it to make 1 post at the end of
> the day with all the days news? A lot easier than all of us setting up
> killfiles and filters and crap like that. You know what happens if you
> go Hadron's way? Everyone wins! Imagine that. People who enjoy reading
> the useless news can still read the useless news, people who don't can
> skip it very easily. I fail to see how this doesn't benefit everyone.

How hard is it to right-click-plonk? How hard is it to click on a column
to sort by poster and skip Roy's posts?

The articles in question have only two things in common: 1) they are
posted by Roy and 2) they are on-topic posts concerned with Linux advocacy.

Posting as separate articles allows the abstract posted as the header to
be used for other filtering without downloading a massive single article.
A reader may be interested in "Education" or "Games" or "Local Government"
or whatever.

Posting separately exposes this information. Your "solution" hides it, and
only panders to your own prejudices or idleness - everybody *loses* with
the exception of trolls or the apathetic.