Re: [News] Jim Allchin: "Windows Vista Has Been Done Two and a Quarter Years"

Erik Funkenbusch :
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 04:06:53 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> What did Microsoft learn from Vista?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Q: You say you've learned a lot from the whole Longhorn/Vista
>>| development process. Could you share some of these lessons?
>>|
>>| Allchin: What you really want to do is componentize, get the
>>| stuff done, make sure you understand the dependencies, easy as
>>| one, two, three. But you need to understand those dependencies
>>| and then you put the pieces together. And without that, your
>>| ability to build large, complicated products -- could be cars or operating
>>| systems or whatever -- it doesn't scale.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=65
>>
>> So, Mr. Allchin has kindly explained to us why GNU/Linux works.
>>
>> Over 5 years since Windows XP...
>
> He says what i've been saying for a long time.  Vista development has only
> been going for less then 3 years.  From the article:
>
> "Then you say, well, what in the world did you guys do before then? And
> I'll say the following: There's a whole set of products that we're not
> getting credit for that we did ship. Three versions of Media Center, two
> versions of Tablet, and Windows XP 64, a Windows 2003 Server, a Windows
> 2003 SP 1, which has X64 in it, and a service pack which by any other means
> would have been a release, called Windows XP SP 2, which I had thousands
> basically of people across ¡X if you total everybody who had something to do
> with it ¡X involved in it. I just took these people basically offline."

In this argument, I have to say Eric has a point. MS has spun out a
bigass amount of code in the last few years. I've seen a lot of it in
action, and products like that dont get built without a massive amount
of programmer hours going in. Everyone's eyeballing Vista, but dont
forget that there are probably more than a hundred other products
they've put out since XP went out the door. More when you look at
console and embedded.

If they had concentrated on the OS it might rival Ubuntu, hell maybe
even RedHat! ;)

--
Masturbation!  The amazing availability of it!
		-- James Joyce

http://www.websterscafe.com