Re: [News] Jim Allchin: "Windows Vista Has Been Done Two and a Quarter Years"

Mark Kent :
> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Handover Phist <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Erik Funkenbusch :

>>> He says what i've been saying for a long time.  Vista development has only
>>> been going for less then 3 years.  From the article:
>>>
>>> "Then you say, well, what in the world did you guys do before then? And
>>> I'll say the following: There's a whole set of products that we're not
>>> getting credit for that we did ship. Three versions of Media Center, two
>>> versions of Tablet, and Windows XP 64, a Windows 2003 Server, a Windows
>>> 2003 SP 1, which has X64 in it, and a service pack which by any other means
>>> would have been a release, called Windows XP SP 2, which I had thousands
>>> basically of people across ¡X if you total everybody who had something to do
>>> with it ¡X involved in it. I just took these people basically offline."
>>
>> In this argument, I have to say Eric has a point. MS has spun out a
>> bigass amount of code in the last few years. I've seen a lot of it in
>> action, and products like that dont get built without a massive amount
>> of programmer hours going in. Everyone's eyeballing Vista, but dont
>> forget that there are probably more than a hundred other products
>> they've put out since XP went out the door. More when you look at
>> console and embedded.
>>
>> If they had concentrated on the OS it might rival Ubuntu, hell maybe
>> even RedHat! ;)
>>

> This is such a joke.  MS have managed a couple of ports, and an
> application tied into an OS (media centre).  In that time, Debian has
> grown from something like 2,500 packages to something around 7,000
> packages, and Microsoft are pleased because, with all their resources
> and people, they've managed to produce 9 things.  Wow.  Great.  Well
> done, guys.

I dont say the stuff I say lightly. MS has spun out a ton of code. OSS
devs have spun out more, but that just because they're more numerous.
And better coders.

With a better system.

But dude, with whet they're working with, they've done tons!

--
How do you power off this machine?
	-- Linus, when upgrading linux.cs.helsinki.fi, and after using the machine for several months

http://www.websterscafe.com