Re: [News] USA Today Criticises Digital Restrictions Mess (DRM)

  • Subject: Re: [News] USA Today Criticises Digital Restrictions Mess (DRM)
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:48:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ arachnid ] on Tuesday 17 October 2006 02:50 \__
>
>> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:01:17 +0000, High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>
>>> About a year and a half ago, I got my daughter the Creative
>>> Zen, an "iPod" clone.  It works fine, cost me half of what the
>>> iPod cost, came with a significantly larger hard drive.
>>
>> Yeah, I looked at an iPod, looked at the Vision:M for about the same
>> price, and bought the Vision:M. I've been real happy with it.
>>
>> For an HD-based device it's amazingly robust. It's fallen off the
>> dashboard a few times and bounced around the violently shaking floor of a
>> freightliner until I got around to stopping hours later, and never
>> glitched on me the whole time.
>
> I used to be using my Palm as an MP3 player. The SD cards hold all the data
> and can be interchanged at ease. Two bird with one stones. Get a PDA, enjoy
> an MP3 player. Some prefer a phone as well, but I started boycotting
> cellphones 3 years ago. Samw with TV, to an extent...

Umm, interesting.  I couldn't work without my mobile;  I've got a
tri-bander, now, so it even works in the US and Canada in some places,
obviously, as well as the rest of the world.  If people couldn't ring
me, or I couldn't ring them, I don't think I could do my job.

Similarly, I use my Nokia 770 to do my email, either through wifi access
points, or GPRS using my phone - again, it fits in my pocket, and I
couldn't really work without it.

Both my phone (I think it's a Nokia 6630) and my tablet (Nokia 770) play
MP3s, and both have some on - both have a 1Gig card each.  I also have a
USB-key MP3 player which can store 1/2Gig.

I can travel for > 20 hours and have no probability of running out of
things to listen to or read.  The only slight issue is needing to carry
power!  I've got a aeroplane invertor now (bought it on my last BA
flight - quite expensive, but very useful).

Save yourself from the 'Gates' of hell, use Linux."  -- like that one.
	-- The_Kind @ LinuxNet