Re: PS3 and Linux

  • Subject: Re: PS3 and Linux
  • From: rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Roy Culley)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 01:15:17 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  risky.vbs
	<4q2ao0Fkvn1mU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Sunday 22 October 2006 23:08 Roy Culley wrote:
>
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <4q24vrFlb4f5U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>>
>>> - or perhaps that should be "Linux and PS3"?
>>>
>>> "A simple installer enables absolutely anyone to install without
>>> instruction. Post-install, the default suite of applications
>>> presents an intuitive, self-guided means of exploring Linux without
>>> the confusion of multiple applications in the same family. An
>>> Advanced installer mode enables selection from greater than fifteen
>>> hundred packages, as is expected from a complete Linux distribution"
>>>
>>> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2006/2006-10-17.shtml
>>
>> Wow, this is really great news for Linux. The PS3 will be a big
>> seller for sure and exposing all those people to an advanced, easy
>> to use OS such as Linux without all the vulnerabilities and
>> 'bitrot' associated with Windows will have a huge affect on Linux
>> home use adoption.
>
> Yes - you are catching on:-)
> What will they sell?  50 million?  100 million?
> All Linux-capable, Linux-ready, and able to be turned into the
> world's fastest Personal Computers at the click of a botton?
> - and the younger generation "learning linux" from pre-school age?
>
> Remember those days when the kids used to load games into
> mum-and-dad's Windows computers?  Well, mum and dad are going to be
> able to turn that around a little!
> So PS3 is expensive, more so than the XBox?  - but what if you get a
> free supercomputer with it for little or no extra cost.....?:-)

Sony have a great reputation for game consoles unlike MS. The PS3 will
sell by the bucket load unless Sony really screw up. The CPU power of
the PS3 with its cell processors will be staggering. As much as that
appeals to me the big win is going to be parents who realise that the
'toy' they bought their kids is also a better system than their
Windows PC.

MS will be very worried about this. Linux desktops are making major
inroads in the corporate / governmental desktop area the world over.
This could be a huge breakthrough in the desktop market.

--
Security is one of those funny things.  You can talk about being "more"
secure, but there's no such thing.  A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and