Re: PS3 and Linux

  • Subject: Re: PS3 and Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:03:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 22 October 2006 23:48 \__

> On Sunday 22 October 2006 23:08 Roy Culley wrote:
>
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <4q24vrFlb4f5U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>>
>>> - or perhaps that should be "Linux and PS3"?
>>>
>>> "A simple installer enables absolutely anyone to install without
>>> instruction. Post-install, the default suite of applications
>>> presents an intuitive, self-guided means of exploring Linux without
>>> the confusion of multiple applications in the same family. An
>>> Advanced installer mode enables selection from greater than fifteen
>>> hundred packages, as is expected from a complete Linux distribution"
>>>
>>> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2006/2006-10-17.shtml
>>
>> Wow, this is really great news for Linux. The PS3 will be a big seller
>> for sure and exposing all those people to an advanced, easy to use OS
>> such as Linux without all the vulnerabilities and 'bitrot' associated
>> with Windows will have a huge affect on Linux home use adoption.
>
> Yes - you are catching on:-)
> What will they sell?  50 million?  100 million?

No, conservative estimates would say tens of millions, but it's still a large
portion. *smile* [Sorry, Roy, I stick with those verbal emotional emoticons.
Keeps me safe from Microsoft's emoticons patent.]

> All Linux-capable, Linux-ready, and able to be turned into the world's
> fastest Personal Computers at the click of a botton?
> - and the younger generation "learning linux" from pre-school age?

Sooner or later they'll have back-yard fights with the school bully. The
bully likes KDE while little Jason prefers Enlightenment. Mom and dad like
GNOME, but they love Jason irrespective of his DE preferences.

> Remember those days when the kids used to load games into mum-and-dad's
> Windows computers?  Well, mum and dad are going to be able to turn that
> around a little!
> So PS3 is expensive, more so than the XBox?  - but what if you get a free
> supercomputer with it for little or no extra cost.....?:-)

I can envision the two generation fighting over a so-called gaming console.
Mom needs to modify her CV in OpenOffice, but little Jason wants to play
Wolfenstein.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 118 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie