Re: [News] In Decline of Software, Does Microsoft Reach Out for Hardware Market?

  • Subject: Re: [News] In Decline of Software, Does Microsoft Reach Out for Hardware Market?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:34:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 22 October 2006 08:20 \__

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/19/technology/19soft.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin
>> http://tinyurl.com/ydtq7k
>>
>> Live Services, XBox (hardware), Zune (hardware) and some other
>> products/markets already illustrate the highly abysmal reach
>> for markets that would supposedly cushion the fall. These
>> products lose a lot of money (e.g. MSN, XBox) whilst the cash
>> cows (software) lose market share. And you though it was
>> Micro-soft... throughout an identity crisis.
>>       ^^^^
>>

> Are MS really likely to be able to produce successful chip designs?
> Somehow, I find it difficult to accept that their internal culture is
> capable of doing such.

It now appears to be more official. They intend to produce the chips for the
XBox. Let's hope that it won't increase the failure rate from 30-50% to
something higher.

Hardware, be very afraid! The BSoD is coming your way.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread