Re: [News] Microsoft Charges Customers for Windows Bugfixes! (Not OneCare)

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 17:50 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> | Why would I make these assumptions? Because this is a known problem
>> | under Windows XP with Internet Explorer, and there's even a hotfix out
>> | for it! Unfortunately, for whatever reason, that hotfix isn't free. In
>> | order to get it, you have to call Microsoft's technical support hotline
>> | at (800) 642-7676 and, apparently, prove you need it.
>
> How very cloak-and-dagger. What on earth can be in a "hotfix" that
> requires such a covert deployment? Is there an associated KB article
> number I can reference? What is this "fix"?

This reminds me of a conversation I had in the search engines newsgroup
(yesterday, I think). Google and Microsoft have both reached the point where
they can merely ignore the /need/ of the customer, or simply ignore the
/customer/ altogether. "They forgot where they came from", said that
Webmaster. He has begun a boycotting campaign. And along the same line of
attack, one would consider Google's consideration for Web standards
(validation), as well as made-up 'extensions' like XML sitemaps and
rel="nofollow".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Swap:  1036184k total,   341364k used,   694820k free,    61412k cached