[News] Microsoft's ODF Work Under Pressure

Microsoft-Backed Group May Have to Hurry on Plug-Ins

,----[ Quote ]
| The November deadline set by Massachusetts CIO Louis Gutierrez for the
| state to receive plug-ins enabling compatibility between Office and the
| OpenDocument file format could prove to be too tight for a series of
| open source plug-ins that Microsoft is funding.

OpenOffice may ultimately be used and it could beat Microsoft to it. In
either event, ODF was successfully embraced not only by Mass., but also by
several other nations, as a result of the Mass stir-up. Peter Quinn can
claim victory.

Earlier today I received a PDF-formatted spreadsheet from someone who
typically sends (has been for years) Excel files. So there's definitely
progress, driven by awareness.