Re: [News] The Linux-based MythTV Puts Windows Media Centre Edition to Shame

  • Subject: Re: [News] The Linux-based MythTV Puts Windows Media Centre Edition to Shame
  • From: bugbuster <bugbuster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 04:27:35 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 15:43:58 -0400, flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:23:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> MythTV Unifies Personal Video Recording And Home Theatre Technology
>
> Wasn't BEOS supposed to do all that?
> Let's see where MythTV is in a year.
> Probably in the same place BEOS is now.

MythTV is not some new guy on the block that's in some beta stage with
no current user base.  Quite the opposite.  It's been around for a few
years now and is quite popular and extremely powerful.  I have one
sitting next to my TV with 3 tuners, 500GB on space (all LVM, of
course) for recorded programs and room for 3 more drives if I ever feel a
need to expand.  It's got a 54Mb wireless so I can migrate recorded
programs to my machine upstairs as well as automatically update
listings once a day.  And I can easily watch recorded shows on my PC
upstairs using xine with NFS.  You can program it quite easily using
the remote but since I usually have my laptop on anyway, I like using the
web interface.

Have you noticed how the networks have tried to prevent recording shows
by starting shows at off times ( 9:01 one week, 9:02 the next?  No problem
for MythTV.  Just tell it to record the show whenever it starts. Or it's
usually on at 9 but is preempted one week and the episode finally gets run
at some odd hour on a different night. Again, no problem for MythTV.  It
will find the episode, determine that it hasn't been recorded from a
previous night and go ahead and record.  You should really check it out:

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

And, unlike Tivo, there is no monthly charge for program listings.
A free subscription service is available from zap2it.com.
I don't know what MS provides for program listings.

Bug