Re: Are Open Source Software Tools Better than Commercial?

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Thursday 07 September 2006 12:21 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Wednesday
>>
>>> According to this article, Defence Department seems to be heavily
>>> involved with the proprietary default:
>>>
>>> http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,57961,00.html

>>> It is not too hard to figure out what other system they are talking
>>> about.
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> I was thinking about many recent report, all of which follow and defend
>> the same theme.
>>
>> http://www.newsforge.com/newsvac/06/08/21/2018243.shtml
>>
>> Department of Defense study urges open source adoption
>
> Report seems promising, yes, I saw the same.  I think it may have been one
> of your E-mails that pointed to the document.  I certainly hope they are
> considering other alternatives.  I remember an article several years back
> that the U.S. Army was using Mac's as web servers at least at one site,
> because they got tired that their Billy Boxes were getting hacked again.

I've heard from troops who use Linux. It's actually quite natural for the
military to have something that diverges from the norm because it makes it
more secure and less penetrable. Enterprises, on the other hand, are dull
and traditional.

Best wishes,

Can Mac OS X and Vista catch up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo
Mem:    514480k total,   483656k used,    30824k free,    19164k buffers