Re: Are Open Source Software Tools Better than Commercial?

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:20 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> editormt on Wednesday
>>
>>> A recent poll asked to compare the quality of open source and
>>> commmercial software development tools. And the winner is... not
>>> obvious ;o)
>>>
>>> Find more on http://www.methodsandtools.com/dynpoll/oldpoll.php?OSQual2
>>
>> There are more people who say that Open Source is superior in terms of
>> quality. In 2004, as well as in 2006. But what will a survey tell? A
>> survey conveys perception. Let us look at some studies. A recent one
>> suggested that large projects such as Apache have very few bugs. The study
>> was conducted by the US Government (maybe the Defence Department, which
>> now embraces OSS, according to its public IT reports).
>
> According to this article, Defence Department seems to be heavily involved
> with the proprietary default:
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,57961,00.html
>
> | Army's Apple Shines in the Desert
> | 02:00 AM Mar, 08, 2003
>
> | Frankly, lives are in the balance here, so the quicker I can get stuff
> | done accurately, the better," Weed said. "The Mac makes this work simple,
> | quick and efficient. The other laptops either can't open the files or
> | lock up halfway through, losing whatever I was working on at the time,
> | and then (I have) to restart the computer and start over."
>
> It is not too hard to figure out what other system they are talking about.

Interesting.

I was thinking about many recent report, all of which follow and defend the
same theme.

http://www.newsforge.com/newsvac/06/08/21/2018243.shtml

Department of Defense study urges open source adoption

Best wishes,

Can Mac OS X and Vista catch up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo
roy      pts/3        cg001a.halls.man Tue Sep  5 19:06   still logged in