Re: Installed new motherboard, and graphics card on Linux, too damn easy.

  • Subject: Re: Installed new motherboard, and graphics card on Linux, too damn easy.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 02:09:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Brad Sims ] on Sunday 03 September 2006 23:06 \__

> I shut down the old machine, removed the old motherboard;
> installed the new one, put in the much newer video card
> and turned it on. Done.
>
> No fucking drivers to reinstall, (Thank you Nvidia, yeah I
> know closed drivers are bad.), no rebooting for each and
> every separate device.
>
> It Just Worked. Everything was correctly auto-detected and
> configured just the way it was before; thanks to udev and
> discover.
>
> Who says Linux is hard to use?
>
> System specs (for those who google) are:
> Asus A8N-E, with nForce4 ultra chipset
> AMD64 3800+ single core 969
> 1GB of ram (2x512)
> Nvidia 6600GT
>
> Kernel is 2.6.17-2 i686 on Debian Sid
> udev is 0.088-2
> discover is 2.1.0-1

So have you got some desktop effects (Novell's terminology)going? The next
version of Mandriva will support these 'out of the box' (like SLED/SLES 10).
And you also get the choice, so it doesn't have to be XGL.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
  2:05am  up 45 days 14:17,  7 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.63, 0.76