Re: [News] Another Uber-Vista-Capable Laptop Explodes

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 14:48:18 +0000, Dangling Gubbo wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Use Windows, be impotent (the laptop heating issue). However, I think
>> therein lies a perfect explanation. Windows users have already made an
>> incompetent choice, thus they are not potent. What harm would some boiling
>> laptop do?
>>
> Yet, for what its worth, my Toshiba Laptop runs considerably hotter using
> Linux. Windows makes some attempt at throttling the CPU and disabling
> (through ACPI) hardware that isn't in  use.

So does my Tosh laptop (runs SimplyMEPIS 6.0) gets fairly hot. But I have
another, older slap that can sit on a desk all day long and not get hot at
all.

> Linux just says "I don't know how to do that".

It's just as much a fault of the individual machine, IMO. I wouldn't buy
another Toshiba, certainly. It's not a bad laptop as they go, but it has
piss-poor battery life.

--
Kier