Re: [News] Proof that Windows is Not Ready for the Desktop

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 20 September 2006 23:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:05:51 +0100
> <2414149.ZBv2V3lcIR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Switching from KDE to WinXP
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | You probably do not use your computer in the same way I use mine. That
>> | is exactly why a rich and configurable feature set is so important --
>> | everyone will have different situations, different preferences, and
>> | different ways of using their computers. A feature-rich, configurable
>> | desktop like KDE allows people to work how they want to work. The MS
>> | Windows XP desktop is more of a "one size fits all" or "any color as
>> | long as it is black" desktop. One with limited features. Some people may
>> | not mind that; I do. Surprisingly, I have yet to find any feature in
>> | WinXP that made me say "Wow! I wish KDE could do that."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.osugisakae.com/writings/lin2winxp/linux2winxp_1.html
>>
>> Very detailed, well-reasoned, and filled with screenshots to serve as
>> backing proof.
>
> A few very minor issues, and an introduction of Gnome
> into this mix (since that's what I'm familiar with).
>
> [1] XP System monitor has an option to be on top.  I don't
> know whether it defaults or not.  It can be annoying,
> though one can iconify it and get a little green area
> in one's tools subarea.  In Gnome an equivalent function
> is had by a specialized panel applet, which also has the
> ability to display VM usage, network, swap, system load,
> and hard drive throughput.  More informative, and more
> useful; also uses more space, if that's important -- but
> usually not a problem for me personally.  I don't know
> what KDE has but would be surprised if it didn't have
> similar bar-applet sysmon functionality.

In KDE I use system monitor (for real-time gauges that are about 16x16 pixels
in size). There's also a small dockable version of KSysGuard, which give an
histrical type of trail. It's very useful to have in sight and it doesn't
consume much screen space either. These two, along with KPager, are merely
the only widgets that are always visible, unless I push an edge with the
cursor (7 panels exist). KDE is good for adding clutter, as well as hiding
it effectively.

> The Gnome system monitor is quite powerful, though some
> of the stuff is a little peculiar.  However, the moving
> graphs are more fun to watch (since there are more of them)
> and are customizable (they could use ticks but there's
> not that much point since they're not long-term graphs).
> The mounted devices area is a bit static but it's a
> reasonable place to put it -- although one might wonder if
> they really need to update every 5 seconds.  Fortunately,
> statfs() is reasonably cheap.
>
> I don't have KDE so don't know what its monitor has.
> I *do* have kxmleditor so I can see the file dialog.
>
> A minor annoyance for me: if one clicks in the wrong
> place in the Gnome control bar one is likely to get the
> system monitor, instead of going to another workspace.
>
> [2] Screenshots are easily gotten at in both XP and Linux.
> In Gnome, one can simply press the PrintScreen Key --
> I do it often enough even without intending to print,
> but ESC works nicely enough to cancel the request.
> Presumably KDE has similar behavior.  If one doesn't
> like the Print Screen keyboard button one can also
> capture using Applications>Accessories>Take Screenshot,
> in Gnome.

There are many methods for doing this. Some are desktop
environment-'neutral'..

Different Ways Of Taking Screenshots In GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The simplest way to take a screenshot, whether in the GNOME
| desktop environment or in KDE, is to press the "Print Screen(PrtScr)"
| key on the keyboard. Most probably a small window(Dialog Box) will
| popup prompting to save the screenshot under a filename.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1693

How to Take a Screenshot in Linux (Ubuntu)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tips.webdesign10.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-ubuntu-linux

> [3] Regrettably, the KDE File Dialog appears to have
> that same dratted horizscrollbar that Win95 "innovated".
> Thankfully, it doesn't waste nearly as much space in the
> columns, and is resizable as well; it also doesn't do
> stupid things with the file extensions.  If one wants a
> vertical scrollbar one can show a detailed view, which
> gives one maybe a little more data than one really needs
> but that's why it's detailed, after all.  The columns in
> KDE are movable as well; put them where you need them.
> One can of course sort on any column (though one might
> question the wisdom at times); a small arrow indicates
> which column is the key and which direction.  Multiple sort
> keys are not possible but are also rarely required.
>
> "Separate folders" is nice; the folders are put in their
> own column; however, they have no attributes therein, which
> is a reasonabl compromise.  (Besides, all that will tell you
> is when someone last created or deleted a file -- not that
> useful.)
>
> For its part WinXP now allows resizing (Wow.  What an
> "innovation"!).  IIRC it has several views: small icons,
> large icons, list, and detailed.  Columns are sortable
> but I don't remember whether they are movable.

KDE adds an almost unstoppable extension of merely anything. Whether it's a
good or a bad (e.g. confusing) thing is another matter. Each menu has a
"Default" button just in case you b0rk something by mistake, so it's fairly
safe.

> For *its* part Gnome has a rather weird (but logical)
> dialog where one can type in the name and store in the
> "default folder" (one can select from a dropdown list;
> I believe it has a memory as well) or click on "browse
> for other folders" and get a more traditional file dialog,
> which displays things using a vertical scrollbar and also
> shows modified date; one can sort on name or date, but the
> columns are immobile though one can extend the size of the
> name column by dragging the spacer bar in the headers).
> Both KDE and Gnome have bookmarks to the left; Gnome has
> filtration by a small pick menu just above the Open/Save
> button.
>
> Gnome has a scrollable button/tab construct; KDE has a
> type-in folder box with history.  WinXP shows one the
> desktop root and the path, one per menu line -- but
> does not show the path, merely the name of the folder.
> This frequently gives me a "where the hell am I?" feeling.
>
> Maybe they'll fix that in Vista, but I have my doubts.
>
> [4] The WinXP registry is a *binary* file, although one can
> access it through such tools as REGEDT32, which displays
> results vaguely similar to the WinE file shown.  Gnome
> has a registry concept but AFAIK it is intended for run-time
> temporary data only.
>
> Nice to know that the most intelligent interface in the world
> is not the most hyped one. :-)

It has a lot to do with marketing and inertia. But it's getting there. And
the more people use it, the more demonstrations will be out there to have
your mates aware of a {better way}^TM. *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, OpenSuSE
 11:05pm  up 62 days 11:17,  8 users,  load average: 1.68, 1.12, 1.08