Re: One reason techs love Linux

__/ [ chrisv ] on Wednesday 20 September 2006 21:06 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>That what I should have done last year, /before/ my sister wiped my mom's
>>document and photos, which were not recoverable. Windows: a safe way to
>>losing valuable data for good. No boot, no good.
>
> Well, that's (obviously) pretty dumb.  Worst case for the clueless,
> the non-booting Windows HD should be set-aside, and Windwoes installed
> on a new HD.  (Yes, spend the money on a new HD - what's you're data
> worth?)  The old HD can be plugged-in later and data pulled off of it.

The idea of {one hard-drive}={one operating system} is a dumb Microsoft
mindset. It's possible to set up a second partition that will read the
affected data or even hoist the data using a LiveCD, USB Linux, external
hard-drive, or maybe even a network boot.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Apache: commercial software's days are numbered
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S