Re: One reason techs love Linux

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Wednesday 20 September 2006 20:39 \__

> Roy Schestowitz :
>> __/ [ Handover Phist ] on Wednesday 20 September 2006 18:59 \__
>>
>>> To rescue files from a dead OS toss a live CD in and transfer them off
>>> via FTP or whatever.
>>>
>>> The same goes for Macs. I have one that I suspect the hard drive is
>>> going south on. I downloaded Ubuntu for PPC, and I can do exactly the
>>> same thing for the mac that I can for x86, in the same environment.
>>>
>>> I came; I saw; I fucked up
>>>
>>> http://www.websterscafe.com
>>
>> That what I should have done last year, /before/ my sister wiped my mom's
>> document and photos, which were not recoverable. Windows: a safe way to
>> losing valuable data for good. No boot, no good. I had the Ubuntu Live CD,
>> but my sister beat me too it, as well as beat the hell out of the data.
>
> A SLAX live CD is an essential part of my toolkit. The only way data can
> be lost for good is hard drive failure or very severe user error (what
> do you mean you lose everything when you format?!?). For those
> situations I use Easy recovery pro, and that doesn't work 100% of the
> time either. Usually if Slax cant mount the filesystem, I inform the
> client that the drive is dead and I can attempt recovery, but consider
> your stuff gone.
>
> You *do* have a backup, right? ;).

On 5 floppies and a ZIP media from 7 years ago... *LOL*

Until disaster strikes they rarely manage to learn and set procrastination
aside... *frown*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
Tasks: 146 total,   1 running, 143 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie