Re: [News] Is Windows Vista Just Windows 9x Underneath?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Is Windows Vista Just Windows 9x Underneath?
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:00:08 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, NoStop
<nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 20 Sep 2006 04:17:17 GMT
<hh3Qg.558482$iF6.65442@pd7tw2no>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Have a look. Taken into its full glory.
>>
>> http://www.istartedsomething.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/start4.jpg
>>
> Oh gawd, that has got to be one ugly motherfsking desktop!

I'll admit, I'm not sure how ugly it is aesthetically
(depends on how much one likes gray, purple, and blue, I
suppose), but that menu sure does take up a lot of space
in a 1024x768 desktop, and why one would want a clock
reminiscent of 1970's heyday is beyond me.  Hopefully that
is settable.  Of course the answer is obvious: buy a
bigger desktop and squint at the individual pixels.  Oh,
wait, gotta buy that 70" diagonal monitor, too.  HPTV [*],
here we come!

*looks around* Uh oh.  Guess I'd better get back to work
on that quiz.  Should we use #2 pencils or just type in
the answers?  Oh, wait, it's almost lunchtime.  Where's my
locker?  I hope I remember my locker combination.

Look...a puppy!

Oh, and one's gotta love the red and green balls on
the menu.  Except for the color they're exactly the
same....which one do I pick if I can't read English?
Red ball, green ball, red ball, green ball...uh oh,
wrong ball.  Is this going to explode now?

At least I can tell with "Chess Titans" that it's a
chess game.  I think.

(BTW: there's start1, 2, and 3 as well.  These might
be slightly prettier since the right gray bar is gone.
Or not.)

> And by the looks
> of things, MickeyMouse is still distributing Notepad and Paint!

Notepad at least is vaguely useful; one hopes the 64K
limitation is long gone by now.

Paint, well...GIMP has it all over paint.  I don't know regarding
Photoshop.

> Now, isn't that a bleeding edge innovative new operating system.
> Do/will people really fall for this shit?

They will, if Linux doesn't get widely enough distributed
and/or Microsoft spreads sufficient FUD.

> I guess there are enough Wintards left on this planet who will
> rush out and purchase Fista. People like flatfish and
> Funkenbusch have probably already pre-ordered and paid for
> this "coming soon" toy operating system.
>

>> Aero Glass is only available with premium versions of the operating
>> system. And it's evident that not much work has been down underneath for
>> quite some time. Toyish interface in XP and some resource-greedy
>> transparency in Vista are no compelling reason for an upgrade (unless you
>> like newer icon sets).

Woo.

[*] high priced television.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.