Re: [News] Is Windows Vista Just Windows 9x Underneath?

DFS <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> yttrx wrote:
>> DFS <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Those are important concerns, but after 5 years of XP I think
>>> curiosity or "it's something new, the latest and greatest" will
>>> drive a lot of upgrades.
>>
>> Very true.  Admittedly, I install each new version of Vista that I
>> get in the mail from Microsoft, just to see.  There's something to be
>> said for glitter-fetish, but that said, my copies of Vista are
>> included in the package I get for being a partner, so I figure I
>> might as well.
>
> I take it you're not too impressed w/ Vista (did you get RC1?)

I did get RC1 very recently yes, installed and played a bit.  Prey
runs well.

Its not that im not impressed with it, its certainly got some polish
that OSX has been sporting for quite a while now, and is going a
pretty long way to catch up in the looks department to both OSX and
Linux.  So that's good.

It seems just as stable as XP, though some operations are a little
boggy, but I think that's probably just my weird configuration.

All in all, theres no reason for me to convert my work laptop to
Vista any time soon---I use it exclusively for Office and Putty-ssh
sessions.  Maybe if I had a really beefy game machine I'd just built
I'd stick it on that for shits and giggles.

>> True as well.  I'm running Edgy, and I have a daily cron that updates
>> against the cutting edge repositories, everything but the
>> kernel--which I install by hand, and only when necessary.
>
> Wouldn't twice or three times a day be better?  Or do they commit code to
> those repos only once a day?

I do it at very specific times, just in case something that gets
installed breaks something that's running at that moment.  For example,
I've noticed that xchat and its environs gets uninstalled every time
I do a dist-upgrade (every two days).  There's also a bit of trouble
with keeping some python modules around through apt-get upgrades.

But it IS a development version, and thus has its issues--which I'm
happy to report are fewer by the day.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net