Re: [News] Unisys Offer to Integrate MySQL

__/ [ JEDIDIAH ] on Tuesday 19 September 2006 17:52 \__

> On 2006-09-19, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [ JEDIDIAH ] on Tuesday 19 September 2006 14:21 \__

>>> Then use a robust commercial offering that will cost you about
>>> as much as a full license for Microsoft Office. If the database
>>> is worth any of your time then it will certainly we worth that
>>> meagre sum.
>>>
>>> [deletia]
>>
>> What if the stack upon which it's built (or that which sits on top) is not
>> transparent and requires a particular type of database. Take WordPress and
>> PHPBibMan, for example. Unlike some other CMS's, they actually require a
>> particular version of PHP and they also require MySQL. By choosing a
>> commercial database, you may also restrict the wealth of Free software
>> that is available for use.
>
> You're TRAPPED using a particular RDBMS. How nice. That's certainly
> a compelling reason to use a particular product.

You are quite right. WordPress has been stuck with non-transparency--that
which makes MySQL a necessity--for quite some time. This has been raised
many times before. Not even long ago now that I recheck...

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2006-March/005529.html

See "[wp-hackers] Porting Wordpress to PostgreSQL"

There are various issues and there are arguments along the lines of shift of
focus in development rigour (even WAMP is still problematic). Yes,
WordPress(.org) is now a commercial spinoff as well, run by Automattic. A
lot of momentum is geared up towards the requirements of wordpress.com. I
can think of other projects such as Gallery of phpBB where one gets
excellent DB transparency. I use MySQL for those because of my host's offer
nonetheless. Had I been asked to migrate though, the CMS would still be
'portable', and should accept whatever 'grounds' are available. On one of
the Web servers I have a Postgres option as well, but I hear mixed reviews
about it. It is said to be far more efficient when handling particular
operations, but I am still under the impression that it's not dependable.

> An app worth running is not going to be so encumbered. It would be
> foolish to trust anything of value to a product that can't manage to be
> cross platform within a framework that's specifically designed to be open.
> The app should at least be able to handle postgres as a backend.
>
> The app shouldn't even be tied to a particular application server.
>
> ...as far as PHP goes: it's never been tied to mysql.

Of course not. I wasn't trying to suggest this either. *smile* But I suppose
the popularity of the two inspired various books that make list them in
tandem and make them as assimilated as Salt and Pepper, verbally at least.

> Unecessarily restricting your freedom of platform movement makes
> no more sense just because the components happen to be gratis.

It's ironic when FOSS projects whose purpose is to encourage openness are
discriminating against and restricting choice. Look at Google. They 'extend'
standards and they product nasty 'HTML' that isn't anywhere close to being
valid.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz  | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish session
Tasks: 118 total,   2 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie