Re: [News] (Satire) Fingerprinting and DNA for WGA

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 19 Sep 2006 05:57:36 +0100
<7964899.Qn2V4N4MfL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Microsoft Requiring Fingerprints and DNA for Vista WGA
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Privacy advocates say this move by Microsoft could force many users
> | to alternative operating systems like Linux where a policy like this
> | would be impossible because there are no Linux drivers available for
> | retinal scanners.
> `----
>
> http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/09/microsoft-vista-wga.html
>
> That last point corresponds to DRM/Trusted Computing, I suppose.

There are some interesting problems relating to DRM,
especially among routers.  :-)  However, I for one would
hope that someone would in fact write a driver for Linux
retinal scanners (what is a retinal scanner anyway but a
fancy camera one stares into?) and then make it widespread
for biometric identification implementations.

This driver might have to address the problem of someone
powering down the system and replacing said retinal scanner
with something that looks like one to the computer.  The
best I can do there is hope that the retinal scanner can
monitor bloodflow and temperature as well, and use encrypted
data through the cable to the USB port.  That way, it would
be harder to sniff. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.