Re: [News] Unisys Offer to Integrate MySQL

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ yttrx ] on Tuesday 19 September 2006 13:33 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> __/ [ yttrx ] on Tuesday 19 September 2006 12:36 \__

>>> Ever considered manageing a 100KB database? The issue of growth and scale
>>> set aside? Affordability is what enables the Web to grow so quickly and
>>> pose such a low entry barrier (whether that's a good or a bad thing).
>>> *smile*
>>>

>> Hahaha...
>>
>> I only have two problems with MySQL, and they're both major:
>>
>> 1. it does not queue insert loads correctly (inconsisently long waits, very
>> bad)
>>
>> 2. there's no way to take a hot dump of a running database.  That means any
>> time you back up a MySQL DB, there's table locking.  Again, very bad.
>>
>> If MySQL means to compete with the likes of DB2, Oracle and Sybase, they
>> need to fix these two major, massive points.
>>
>> Then they need to fix things like horrid scalability.
>

> Interesting. You mentioned this before in a different context. I don't have
> much experience with a variety of different databases (of different size). I
> guess it shows, yet again, that COLA is a good place to learn, rather
> than

No : the real world is. You spouting nonsense and then getting corrected
by people who "know" is not "learning" - its being put right. A subtle
but important difference. It pains me to think of the amount of
misinformation you post which isnt slapped back into place because the
people who know have your voluminous NEWS posts killfiled. If you want
to learn, go and READ something relevant to the program or get a job
where you use it. Dont make things up. Or guess.