[News] Motorola Joins Apple, Dell, Sony, IBM in Battery Woes. Time For Efficient Computing?

  • Subject: [News] Motorola Joins Apple, Dell, Sony, IBM in Battery Woes. Time For Efficient Computing?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:49:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Toshiba recalls 340,000 Sony laptop batteries

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month Dell and Apple Computer recalled almost 6 million
| Sony-made notebook PC batteries saying they could produce smoke and
| catch fire.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6117010.html

Inefficient programming -> hot gear.

Brian May of Queen has recently complained about his boiling MacBook and
yelled at Apple for making it so.

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

Also:

Fires and Laptops and Batteries, Oh My!

,----[ Quote ]
| The dirty little secret of the PC industry is that most users don't need
| as much of the processing power and energy usage as they are presently
| consuming; the Windows / Intel cycle of creating an ever larger operating
| system which requires ever more processing power to use it is creating
| this situation. Users just are not aware of alternatives, and alternatives
| are not presented to them; there's big business in keeping them in the
| hamster wheel of hardware and software replacement. There's not enough of
| a sales story for people like Microsoft in saying their latest product
| will be more efficient in its use of resources, as opposed to having
| more novelty.
`----

http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=97

Hands on: Running Vista on a MacBook Pro

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9003111