Re: [News] Broadcaster Replaces Proprietary with OS to Gain Security, Reach Wider Audience

begin  oe_protect.scr
> EATV Switches to Open Source Broadcast Technology
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Archive Entertainment has re-launched its streaming video feed using the
>| open source software Icecast and Theora provided by the Xiph.Org
>| Foundation. Previously, the network operated with proprietary closed
>| source software that left many potential viewers unable to access
>| the feed.
>|
>| "I'm excited about the new EATV stream as it allows us to reach an
>| even larger audience. We now support the three major computer
>| platforms: Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh, and Linux" commented
>| Archive Entertainment owner Robby Zinchak. "The open source nature of
>| Icecast and Theora should lead to enhanced security due to anyone being
>| able to analyze their source code. We've had security problems in the
>| past with closed source software."
> `----
>
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/09/18/1532238

Only a few days after Verizon were re-writing Microsoft's programme
guide to make it work;  I still find it very hard to understand why
these days anyone would be considering anything other than open
solutions.

Virtue is its own punishment.
		-- Denniston

Righteous people terrify me ... virtue is its own punishment.
		-- Aneurin Bevan