Re: Platform-Nuetral Guy Makes Platform-Nuetral Suggestions

  • Subject: Re: Platform-Nuetral Guy Makes Platform-Nuetral Suggestions
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 Sep 2006 11:29:38 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> The OS Wars - An Un-Biased review by a slightly above average computer user!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | During this testing phase I have tried the following Operating Systems:
> |
> |     * Windows XP Pro SP2 (What was originally on this laptop and is
> | currently being used)
> |
> |     * Ubuntu 5.03 and 6.06 (Breezy Badger and Dapper Drake - Gotta love
> | those code names)
> |
> |     * PCLinuxOS 0.93a (technically still in alpha)
> |
> |     * Windows Vista Ultimate (The one that will retail for $499 for the
> | full version) Beta 2 & RC1
> |
> |     * ReactOS 0.3 - Windows XP Like Clone
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | If you are:
> |
> |     * An Average/Novice computer user I recommend sticking with WindowsXP
> | or upgrading to Vista when it hits retail if you have a new (less than a
> | year old) machine with a good video card (non-shared memory).
> |
> |     * A Moderate computer user I recommend PCLinuxOS - of course after
> | checking all your hardware/peripherials against the Hardware
> | Compatibility List and ensuring that everything you need is Supported.
> |
> |     * An Advanced Computer User (that knows how to edit the registery
> | and perform routine tasks using scripts and/or the Command line (Terminal)
> | then you probably don't need my recommendations.......but Ubuntu would be
> | a good choice for you.
> `----
>
> http://blog-maniac.blogspot.com/2006/09/os-wars-un-biased-review-by-slightly.html
> http://tinyurl.com/pl8gy
>
> Linux: 2 , Windows: 1
>
> *immature grin* Linux wins.

A couple of points:

>> "* An Average/Novice computer user I recommend sticking with WindowsXP..."

The Mac is actually a better fit for most new computer users assuming
they don't want cutting edge gaming.

>> "* An Average/Novice computer user I recommend sticking with WindowsXP..."

This is already the case. *Most* computer users are average. Most of
the current install base has "average" or "novice" skills so this
basically explains the 90% or so marketshare for Windows. Only a small
percentage of computer users will ever become "experts" or highly
skilled users.