Re: [News] New Trend? Abandoned Games and Apps Go Open Source

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 15 September 2006 08:35 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> It's stuff like the following which makes me wonder if every
>> Windows-centric game we once knew will end up Open Source in the public
>> domain. Programmers can easily make all of these available for Linux when
>> the source is available.
>>
>> http://lilanglois.widge.org/hoverrace/
>> http://hoverrace.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=419
>>
>> Quake and Descend come to mind...
>
> I think ID were the first to do this with Wolf3D, but oddly, it didn't
> really capture the imagination.  Some work was done on it, and there was
> an OpenGL port, but beyond that, not much activity.  Same could also be
> said for two of the best of the early FPS games which were Duke3D and
> Rise of The Triad (where the found bouncy circles were to be found, long
> before they appeared in Quake!).
>
> Again, although both of these games had big followings, and were both
> very good, there's just not been much interest in taking them forward.
>
> Maybe they're just too dated?
>
> That said, someone did port Duke3D to the GP2X, though :-)
>
> I'd quite like to see some of the old platform games opened up, too.  It
> would be great to see commander keen and duke bouncing across your
> screen from an open game (okay, you can play them in dosbox, I know).

Old/classic games, at least from my own perspective, become a special
collection with a sentimental value. Although they serve as a pandora box
you can always open, they are rarely truly used. I think the greed for
information (including memories) is reaching detrimental levels. Why?
Because it's possible. Storage is cheap and bandwidth is no longer a
bottleneck.

Look at Microsoft researchers, for example. Now they offer or propose a 'life
camera' (some name along these lines), which autonomously captures photos in
your life to have life recorded/documented. Voice included, IIRC. I can also
recall that the same guy who perceived this idea also said that he felt like
he had lost a part of him when shoddy MS software lost an E-mail folder of
his. And, no, MS wasn't purging employee E-mails at the time (as means of
securing itself from some nasty and well-justified lawsuits)...

Get me thinging that... Ballmer will soon resign. People dislike him in-house
and he doesn't want to witness or be fully-responsible for the demise that's
already evident.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
roy      pts/4                         Fri Sep 15 11:06   still logged in