Re: [News] Another Criticism of Microsoft-Loving Journalists

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/165-ComputerWorld-Employs-Ignorant-Journalists.html#extended

> Also see:
>
> Praising Microsoft - and attacked by wolves
>
> ,----[ Snippets ]
> | "That you can use the word 'virtue' in the same sentence as 'Microsoft'
> | is clear indication that you haven't a clue. Then again, you do write
> | for Fortune, so your alliance no doubt leans toward corporations and
> | shareholders rather than users," wrote Walter Bazzini, whose Web
> | site, perhaps revealingly, is entitled "Misanthrope Manor."
> |
> | "You sound as if you're suffering from 'Stockholm Syndrome,'" wrote
> | Ken Davies. "Microsoft has actually set all of us back by years and
> | possibly by decades."
> |
> | "Your painfully revisionist history makes you sound like one of
> | the 20-something journalists who wasn't actually around since the 80s,"
> | wrote Norman Gilmore, who really knows how to hurt a guy.
> |
> | Some of the letters were not only passionate but extremely well written
> | and thoughtful. Here's more, for example, from Gilmore, who neatly
> | summarizes the objections of quite a few writers:
> |
> | "Gee, I thought ARPA funded the research leading to TCP/IP, Tim
> | Berners-Lee invented the Web, and Marc Andreessen led the creation of
> | the graphical browser at [the University of Illinois]. I thought Apple
> | started the personal computing revolution, Xerox invented graphical
> | interfaces and IBM invented the PC. Microsoft BASIC - oh yeah, a
> | language invented at Dartmouth by Kemeny and Kurtz. MS-DOS? Tim
> | Patterson wrote what became MS-DOS, itself a CP/M clone.
> |
> | "And THEN Bill Gates wrote his famous memo, which summarized as -
> | 'WHOOPS - THE INTERNET - OH NO! WE'RE BEHIND!' "
> `----

http://biz.yahoo.com/hftn/060901/090106_fastforward_microsoft_fortune.html?.v=1

Mags have always been written by jernos rather than anyone who new what they
were talking about. Jernos go to uni and learn how to type and spell,
nothing else.

I used to read a biker mag who's cheif motor bike expert also wrote in a
computer mag as a chief computer expert only to find one day that he also
did a piece in New Scientist. But he was far from expert in anything he
wrote about, he was a jerno who's income came from filling a column, truth
and fact had no bearing on it so long as he got the cheque from the editors
which he got if they wasn't a gap on the page he was meant to write on.

The only exception I know of was Program Now, which was written by
programmers for programmers.

Linux Format uses jernos too by the way, sometimes its glaringly obvious
that the jerno has copied something from somewhere, but hasn't really put
it together in the artical correctly, makes it obvious he/she didn't know
what the thing was but it made for a good column filling artical anyways.