Re: [News] The Forked, Moderated Wikipedia Takes Off

I favor an unmoderated Wikipedia, since "who chooses the moderators"
and *for what purpose* must always have imperfect answers.  And the
moderated Wikipedia is imperfect too, so what to do?  I think part
of the answer is, more Wikipedias: some controlled and some not.  In
today's world, that seems not very hard to do, nor costly.

So how about those uncontrolled Wikipedias?  Where some people
do childish and foolish things?  My answer to it is, *grow up*.   Small
children need their food prepared; adults sort from what's on hand
and prepare it for themselves.

Here, scholarly practice serves.  Back in prehistory, our ancestors
learned winnowing to sort the chaff from the wheat; and today, our
(relatively) improved civilization hasn't made this no longer needed.
When did any good scholar believe anything that came her way?
Factual information *must* be checked, verified, and then never
completely believed (i.e., faith-based).  There's a reason why
scientists are still testing Einstein's relativity theory.  So the
sudden
appearance in Wikipedia of the Black Emperor in Ratzinger's place
is inappropriate and a nuisance to serious workers, but the line
between "moderating" and "censorship" is too uncertain to let the
"moderating" in the door ...*everywhere*.

Which all leads me to favor the unmoderated over the moderated
Wikipedia.  (But rubbish is still rubbish and it wastes working
peoples time.)

Cheers -- Martha Adams