Re: Roy breaks the law again... (was: Microsoft is Recruiting!)

On 2006-09-27, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:47:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/gbbfq
>
> There you go breaking copyright laws again.
>
> I especially like the part at the bottom where you fraudulently claim
> Microsoft has copyrighted your work.

If Roy really wrote the content of that page, parody or otherwise,
then he's free to cede copyright to whomever he wants.  (Every paper
I've ever written has somebody else's copyright on it, for example.)
Granted, if MS were to choose to accept and enforce the copyright, Roy
could end up having problems further editing the work or even keeping
it up on his site -- but the issue raised wasn't whether this was
sensible of Roy, just whether it was "fraudulent".

If I stick a five-dollar-bill in an envelope and mail it to you, are
you going to claim that's mail fraud?

> Parody protection does not extend to fraud, nor does it allow you to copy
> images (such as logo's) that are copyrighted works without permission.

Surely the logo is a _trademark_ issue, not copyright?  (Even there,
I've seen far more blatant "violations" in, say, The Onion.)

--
Darrin