Re: [News] Free Security Software for Windows is Not Enough

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/p8uh7

Virus and other Malware protection should be purely subscription (i.e.
service) based anyway. Those that claim to be free (not Free) are little
more than a tease, and likely to lead to a false sense of security.

I'd be happy to use FOSS Malware protection in combination with a paid
subscription, but currently NOD32 + Outpost (both commercial) are better
solutions (for Windows) IMHO.

ClamAV is fine as a mail scanner (has little use protecting Linux
itself, since there's almost no need), but I'm not sure how its database
stands up against commercial offerings.

Are there stats for ClamAV/Win on Virus Bulletin?

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| California's Great; it's such a lovely state,
| And every lawn is sitting on a contintinental plate.
`----
 - Animaniacs ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=XKcgTnfoM9Q )

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 19:06:05 up 98 days, 19:22,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00