Re: Huge Decline In Search Engine Traffic

  • Subject: Re: Huge Decline In Search Engine Traffic
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:34:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Chris H. ] on Sunday 24 September 2006 12:37 \__

> Big Bill wrote:
>> On 24 Sep 2006 03:11:51 -0700, "Chris H." <chrisindcbc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I have recently noticed a huge decline in search engine traffic.  It
>> >seems to be directly related to me using a new web page design and
>> >adding content to my site.  I am not sure why this has happened.  I had
>> >several popular keywords in the top ten that aren't even in the top
>> >hundred anymore.  Anyone have any ideas why this has happened?  Any
>> >help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>> >
>> >Chris H.
>> >
>> >Internet Security 101 - http://www.internetsecurity101.net
>> >Internet Security & Privacy Blog -
>> >http://internetsecurity101.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Did you change your file names? Directory structure? If you did it'll
>> be treated in some ways as a new site. Old links to your pages won't
>> reach them any more because they were to specific file names. That's
>> usually it!
>>
> Thanks Big Bill for your response.  No, I didn't change my file names.
> That's why it really has me baffled.  I guess I'll just have to wait
> and see.

Have you by any chance been tracking number of inbound links, number of pages
indexed and crawling volume? Making a comparison would/might help you put a
finger on the issue.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, OpenSuSE