Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Choose Vista, Reduce Productivity (was: [News] Choose Vista, Reduce Productivity)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
<website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:55:10 GMT
<i4RSh.8925$NK2.5524@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Asstroturfer Erik Funkenbusch wrote on behalf of micoshaft corporation:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 04:44:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> On a related note, Vista still does not handle de/fragmentation
>>> automatically.
>>>
>>> The fastest way to defragment your hard-drive
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/15/defragment/
>>>
>>> It is amazing that after 5-6 years of work, the O/S is still unable to
>>> manage its own filesystem properly. To an enterprise, this means wasted
>>> time. People do not do what they ought to be doing, which is to do real
>>> work (rather than reboot, defrag, and sometimes disinfect/wipe).
>>
>> Since the "Defend Roy at all costs, no matter how much he lies" or the
>> "Object to anything Erik says no matter if he is right or not" patrols
>> will quickly come to Roy's defense I will point out explicitly the ways
>> Roy has lied here:
>>
>> 1) Nowhere in the article does it claim that Vista can not automatically
>> defrag it's drives.  Roy made this up.  Completely.
>>
>> 2) Vista does in fact automatically defrag it's drives.  The defrag
>> process, by default, runs after installation, and then, again by default
>> is
>> set to run at 4am every sunday.  This is the default configuration.  If
>> you don't believe me, read this:
>

> BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
>
> What's 'defrag'?
>
> Clippy doesn't enter into correspondence on what it does and why.
>
> Help me, my Linux computer doesn't seem to that feature.

I've wondered about this on occasion.  Obviously, Windows
filesystem defragmentation -- it's either a gigantic design
flaw, inherited from DOS's FAT failings, or a feature;
I think it's a mix of the first two -- is a fact of life,
even in Vista.  (That Vista automates the process is a
tradeoff: is it better to fix the failings, or to bodge
something that works around them?  UNIX(tm)/Linux 'find'
and 'locate' are themselves a bit of bodging, though 'find'
is far more general and has been around since the 1970's,
and 'locate' is the observer side of the 'locate/updatedb'
system, which scans the entire disk on a repeated basis
(once every day or so) to build a file list.  It's a
tradeoff: if a system's idle it might as well do something.
I'm not sure about beagle/beagled yet though it's an
unobtrusive puppy at present -- and hasn't really made
any sort of mess on the carpet in my mind yet :-) .)

For its part Linux has defragmentation built-in, at least
AFAIK, into the filesystem block/inode allocation methods,
and the grouping methodology therein.  It probably depends
on the filesystem.

I'm also given to think Linux has better caching, since
it doesn't bother to cache DLLs and EXEs, but arbitrary
file pages.  (That presumably cuts down on the corner
cases and such.)

As for Clippy -- well, we do have the OpenOffice smiling
light bulb [*], but he's not quite as annoying. ;-)
Certainly he doesn't:

- take notes as one fills out a requester form
  ("It looks like you're writing a suicide note" being a
  somewhat popular joke satirizing on Clippy's antics;
  "vigor" is a clippy look-alike running around for
  "vi" users)

- convert into a motorbike when asked to leave

- tap on the monitor glass to get one's attention

- look quite as stupid, especially when taking notes,
  converting into a motorbike, or tapping on the monitor
  glass (since said bulb does not take notes, convert into
  a motorbike, tap on the glass, or even move; clicking on
  the bulb -- a natural reaction to an "idea" metaphor --
  does take one to the help pages, which is about what one
  would expect, or one can simply close his window with
  a provided little "x" in the upper right hand corner).

No doubt someone will hack it at some point to allow for
arbitrary personalized light bulbs, as an inside joke.
(Certainly Microsoft BOB allowed for icon personalization,
from Rover the dog to Scuzzo the rat to Speaker the
... electronic noise device?  XP also has search icon
personalization -- and bathed the dog.)

One might even put a variant of Clippy or Rover in
there...though at some point one would have to ask
"why bother".

[*] as I recall it used to just be a diagonally-positioned
    light bulb; presumably it changed in version 2.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.