Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Company Dumps .NET Software, Finds Happiness in Open Source

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 11:56:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Kier ] on Sunday 08 April 2007 10:47 \__
>
>> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 04:59:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>

>>> I didn't read the whole article, but I looked at the headline and the
>>> closing paragraphs. Erik is nitpicking here, but I'll admit I was
>>> unintentionally inaccurate. Lying is /deliberate/. What happened here was
>>> /accidental/. And it happens in every news site every now and then, even
>>> in Groklaw.
>>
>> You should start reading the articlkes more, then. Far better to be
>> scrupulous, and post fewer articles that you *know* you can stand by, than
>> go for volume and be caught out like this. remember, the folk in the
>> 'Opposition' are not always wrong, and 'our' side is not always right.
>>
>> The more careful and scrupulous you are, the less ammunition your critics
>> have.
>
> Thanks, Kier, for the advice. I do try to read the articles carefully and
> sometimes in full (PJ does this as well before posting anything), but it
> does not guarantee that the article is accurate (Linux.com corrected
> BoycottNovell.com in the past because a major publication had a mistake that
> led to a 'broken telephone' effect). Sometimes you are held responsible for
> someone else's mistake as there's no peer review.

That's true. But I think it's fair to say not all of your inaccuracies can
be put down to someone else's carelessness. You must always strive to be
as factual and above-board as possible. Of course, mistakes will always be
made, we're only human. Just do your best to avoid them

> You can never avoid accidents altgother, but you can reduce their frequency.

Agreed. That's why I suggested that perhaps you post less material, so you
have time to be certain of its veracity. Or maybe it's time for a new
approach altogether. There are so many important issues in Linux-land that
just don't seem to be getting discussed here.

Here's one idea, just off the top of my head. How about something like:
'Important Topic of the Day'? An example might be, 'Is the GPLv3 an
improvement over v2 What are the likely implications for the future?'.

I'm sure there are lots of subjects out there just waiting to be
discussed. Why not give it some thought?

<snip>

--
Kier